Sexually transmitted diseases
Sexually transmitted diseases are infections that are transmitted from one person to another through sexual contact, and the causative agents can be bacteria, viruses, yeasts and parasites. These same pathogens do not necessarily have to be transmitted sexually, they can also be transmitted by:
– contact with infected blood and secretions;
– shared use of accessories for intimate hygiene;
– through needles and syringes in intravenous drug addicts;
– during blood transfusion;
– from an infected woman to a child during pregnancy and childbirth.
When we talk about sexually transmitted diseases, we usually mean urogenital infections such as urinary tract infections and bacterial and yeast infections. If you notice any symptoms, such as:
– burning during urination, frequent and painful urination;
– red and itchy genitals;
– increased vaginal discharge;
there is a high probability that it is an urinary tract infection, caused by one of the pathogens.
Sexually transmitted infections cause a big problem in both men and women due to their frequency and possible permanent and serious consequences. The causative agents do not always have to cause symptoms. That is why PCR diagnostics are very important in detection of these infections and preventing their transmission.
Laboratory tests are an excellent way to control and prevent urogenital infections. Although serological tests are still used to detect pathogens, a negative result of such tests does not exclude their presence.
This is why most turn to PCR testing, which has much higher specificity and sensitivity compared to other laboratory methods.
The most common viruses, bacteria and parasites that can be proven by molecular tests are:
– HPV (Humani Papilloma Virus)
– HSV (Herpes Simplex Virus)
– Chlamydia trachomatis
– Neisseria gonorrhoeae
– Gardnerella vaginalis
– Mycoplasma hominis
– Mycoplasma genitalium
– Ureaplasma urealiticum
– Trichomonas vaginalis
– Candida albicans
At Poliklinika Analiza, most of these pathogens can be detected from urine samples, without painful and unpleasant swabs. We will process your urine sample within 1 to 2 working days and send you the results.
You can receive the results by email or collect them in person, at the complete discretion of our professional staff. Testing process:
* It is preferable that the sample is the first morning urine or that at least 2 hours before sampling, no urination was done.